Building Services Technician (Mechanical Bias)
Your World Professional is currently recruiting a Building Services Technician (Mechanical Bias) in South Kensington on a temporary basis.
Building Services Technician (Mechanical Bias)
The person appointed shall be a Technician with a Mechanical or Electrical building services engineering background. The Technician will be highly versatile and will undertake both hands-on and works management duties, to ensure compliance, optimise service delivery and protect the long term interests of the Estates Service and Trust.
- A good standard of education with manual dexterity.
- A trade apprenticeship with full craft qualification to City and Guilds / NVQ Level 3.
- Experience of working in a large organisation installing /maintaining mechanical/electrical building services systems in a Healthcare or similar environment.
- To be working towards EngTech registration with one of the main engineering institutions such as CIBSE or The IET 3Certified to BS7671 17th Edition or Mechanical equivalent
- City & Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing or approved equivalent
Location: South Kensington / Sutton
Temporary: Expected to be ongoin
Hours per week: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £18 (Umbrella) or £15 per hour (PAYE)
Experience / Skills
- Knowledge of Engineering services in complex buildings. Competence and confidence in dealing with a wide range of engineering equipment.
- Knowledge of Inspection & Testing on building services
- Understand mechanical and electrical installation drawings and wiring diagrams, manufacturers literature and handover documents
- Isolation, switching and making safe
- Fault finding and rectification
- Professional expertise with a logical and systematic approach to work tasks. Ability to work well under pressure.
- Punctual and track record of good timekeeping & attendance, fit and able to undertake work sometimes for extended times over the working day and /or week
- Available for emergency overtime and on-call rota duties, within 1 hour travel to site outside normal working hours.
- Respond to unexpected changes and adopt a flexible approach
- Proactively working with the Supervisor and management to fully complete service / work docket reports, estimating new works, identifying solutions and options to work requests.
- Written and verbal communication skills. Excellent interpersonal and customer liaison skills and be able to work with the broad range of administrative, management and medical staff in a fully operational specialist care hospital.
- Taking ownership of tasks and specific projects and deliver to targets.
- Work in a team with other tradesman and the Supervisor. To want to help people and the Trust
- Experience in working in a service led maintenance environment working on a large variety of engineering services. Highly aware of Health & Safety issues as applied to building and engineering functions.
- Undertaking physical maintenance and installation work on large and complex facilities, plant, controls and equipment throughout Trust Estate. They will be the team leader on specific project and maintenance works/services and during these times will be responsible for the safety and productivity of in-house staff working under his/her control and will work closely with the Supervisor who has line management control over in-house trade staff. They will provide input to the appraisal of in-house trade staff. Will be an Approved Person for multiple disciplines and issue and control permits and produce and/or review and comment on; risk assessments and method statements.
- Will manage suppliers and specialist subcontractors and be responsible for managing remedial works to completion and minimising risks.
- Will work with Project Managers, Commissioning Team and Estates Officers and provide input and operational recommendations for proposed and ongoing projects. This input will cover the complete project life cycle from concept design, through design development, installation, testing and commissioning and handover and bedding in, in order to protect Estates interests, increase efficiency /productivity and ensure compliance. Shall undertake surveys of plant and building services and equipment inspect and report on installation and testing work by both Estates and Project contractors and witness testing and commissioning of plant and equipment. Work closely with the Supervisor to organise and attend shutdowns.
- The Technician will attend meetings, undertake research, surveys and on-site investigations to influence new project designs and works. He/She will also deputise for the Supervisor or Assistant Estates Manager during times of absence. He/She will work as part of a multidisciplinary team which is responsible for providing the safe operation of planned, reactive and emergency maintenance to The Trust. By carrying out their duties as instructed and undertaking maintenance, installation and new works tasks to a high standard for all engineering services throughout the Trust, this will assist in providing a comfortable, safe and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Technicians will oversee the apprentice’s training and work and liaise with the Training and Development Managers and external training providers to progress the apprentice’s ongoing development. The Technician will train apprentice’s ensuring their safety and passing on valuable experience and skills to the apprentice.
- The post holder will be expected to work on their own and to have or gain knowledge of specific plant and equipment. This will include maintenance and initial response to diagnose faults with the full range of mechanical and electrical building services.
- The post holder to have experience of installation, fault finding and repair of building services equipment and infrastructure and be able to demonstrate a core skill in a specific trade i.e. mechanical, electrical, plumbing, controls, etc.
- The post holder will have the confidence to use skills and experience to attend to faults with building services equipment and call on support from the Supervisor, other members of the trade team or external specialist in order to restore service and report of remedial works.
- Building services equipment and infrastructure includes, but is not limited to: air handling units, air conditioning units, heating systems, pumps and vessels, Building Energy Management System (BEMS) controls, refrigeration plant, plumbing & fittings, all drainage systems, lighting/power, lifts, Nurse Call, visual display equipment, bed handsets, door controls, etc for clinical and non-clinical purposes. Other equipment the post holder will be involved with may include Bed Pan washers, domestic appliances, laboratory equipment pollution control services /equipment and residential accommodation services.
- There are a number of emergency systems for the Trust and periodic testing is carried out on Electrical Distribution and Services; Boiler Plant and Calorifiers, Lighting and Electrical Power Circuits; Emergency Diesel Electrical Generators including UPS, IPS systems Fire Alarms, Emergency Lighting, Nurse Call systems, Environmental Control Management including Alarm systems such as, Fire, BMS, Fridge, Medical Gases, Nurse Call, Access Control and Intruder Detection.
- Post holder will undertake reactive and first response to make safe, fault diagnosis, investigation and reporting to Supervisor and/or calling in specialists as necessary for building services equipment.
We are an equal opportunities employer
To discuss this opportunity in more detail, Apply Now, or contact the Current Jobs Team at Your World Healthcare on 020 7220 0825.Apply Now